Ugly victory, pretty record
Lasers survive low-scoring battle, bump to 4-0
Kettle Moraine's boys basketball team might be the only state prep team in history to win a game scoring 103 points and another scoring 35 in the same span of three weeks. The undefeated Lasers will take them both.
Opening the Classic 8 Conference slate at home against Waukesha North, the Lasers held the Northstars scoreless in the fourth quarter and prevailed with a 35-30 victory. The win moved KM to 4-0 on the season, adding to their best start since 1987.
"It was a goofy game," KM coach Brad Bestor said. "We played good D and rebounded and had a solid fourth quarter."
The Lasers did hold the ball for 3:30 in one possession in the fourth to contribute to North's goose egg in the period, and Kettle Moraine was able to win after trailing by 1 point heading into the final frame.
"We just didn't shoot very well," Bestor said. "We were 3-for-14 from three, and we did get some good looks inside of their 2-3 zone, but we just missed. We missed a lot of bunnies. It's kind of a hard one to explain, just an ugly grind-it-out game."
Mitchell Oleson finished with 10 points, Mike Ottusch added 9, and Paul Miller had 8 for a team that battles Waukesha West on Friday.
Kettle Moraine 35, Waukesha North 30
- Sailing: Olympics are synonymous with Pewaukee's Harken brothers (1)
- Milwaukee Polo Club team falls
- Land O’Lakes: Sussex, Monches set for LOL West rematch
- Sports Scene: Good baseball on display in 2016 season for Lake Country programs
- Land O’Lakes: Three generations of Smiths have led Monches
- Football: Former head coach Tom Taraska joins Arrowhead football staff
- Land O’Lakes: Monches grabs two wins in Land O'Lakes West
- Golf: Lake Country golf courses bucking national trend, staying busy
- Golf: Kyle Driscoll leads local golfers at State Amateur
- State of Play: Skill-position talent increasing in Wisconsin football