Tarnow's 20 kills lead AHS to sectional final
Arrowhead wins over Fond du Lac in four sets
For the first time since 2007, the Arrowhead boys volleyball team will play in a sectional final, competing Thursday with a berth in the state meet on the line.
The second-seeded Warhawks knocked off third-seeded Fond du Lac on Tuesday, 26-28, 25-17, 26-24, 25-16.
"Fondy has a bunch of great players; their setter was fantastic tonight," first-year coach Shane Reid said. "Ultimately, we were able to frustrate them with our serves and get them out of what they wanted to do."
Arrowhead will host Germantown on Thursday. The other Warhawks reached the state semifinals last year and knocked Arrowhead out of the playoffs at the sectional semifinal level. Earlier this season, Arrowhead took Germantown to the full three sets before falling as part of the Arrowhead Invite.
"They're a great team, so it's going to be a lot of fun for us, and I think the guys are up to the challenge," Reid said.
Against Fond du Lac, the Warhawks needed extra points to win a critical third set.
"They went up a couple points mid-set, taking us out of our system and had some tough servers that were frustrating our passers," Reid said. "We led, 21-19, and they made a couple blocks to tie it at 21-all. It was back and forth, with two teams slugging it out, and we ended up coming out on top on a nice scramble play."
Reid said the team looked to junior outside Eric Tarnow for the big attacks, on his way to a team-best 20 kills, and libero Chad St. Martin finished with 20 digs. Andrew Patek posted six aces, Jake Barry finished with 35 assists and Kevin LeRoy added five blocks.
- Sailing: Olympics are synonymous with Pewaukee's Harken brothers (1)
- Milwaukee Polo Club team falls
- Land O’Lakes: Sussex, Monches set for LOL West rematch
- Sports Scene: Good baseball on display in 2016 season for Lake Country programs
- Land O’Lakes: Three generations of Smiths have led Monches
- Football: Former head coach Tom Taraska joins Arrowhead football staff
- Land O’Lakes: Monches grabs two wins in Land O'Lakes West
- Golf: Lake Country golf courses bucking national trend, staying busy
- Golf: Kyle Driscoll leads local golfers at State Amateur
- State of Play: Skill-position talent increasing in Wisconsin football