History on the side of the Warhawks
If history means anything, Arrowhead's football team will have good karma on its side when it plays Sun Prairie at 4 p.m. Friday at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison in the WIAA Division 1 state championship game.
The Warhawks and Sun Prairie have been regular postseason qualifiers, but the two have met just twice in the football playoffs, and Arrowhead won both.
1994: Arrowhead 28,
Sun Prairie 14
In a second-round game played on a sunny but cold day in Sun Prairie, the Warhawks never trailed but could never put the game away until the final three minutes. The Warhawks went on to win the state championship several weeks later.
Brian Thomas came up with an interception in the first period, and that eventually led to a 2-yard touchdown run by Jim Malec and a 7-0 lead. Early in the second, Jesse Zellmer scored on a 12-yard run and gave AHS a 14-0 lead.
Arrowhead made it a 21-7 lead in the third quarter when Malec scored on an eight-yard run. Sun Prairie scored early in the fourth quarter to cut the AHS advantage, but the Warhawks iced it when Larry Kempen plunged in for a 1-yard run. That score came after a time-consuming 13-play, 63-yard drive.
Arrowhead got big performances on defense from Donny Eicher, Kevin Brown, Mike Seifert, Thomas, Matt Pettit and Craig Vitense.
2010: Arrowhead 35,
Sun Prairie 0
This first-round game was played at AHS as the sixth-ranked Warhawks dominated the 10th-ranked Cardinals. Because of the considerable wind, Arrowhead ran the ball on 53 of 54 plays, throwing only on a Hail Mary pass on the final play of the opening half.
Arrowhead running back Colton Sweitzer scored on runs of 32, 20 and 7 yards, and Jamahl Wright scored on runs of 13 and 5 yards. Sweitzer finished the night with 147 yards on 23 carries, and Wright had 121 yards on 27 attempts.
The AHS defense held Sun Prairie to its lowest total of yards (123) in more than six years.
- Sailing: Olympics are synonymous with Pewaukee's Harken brothers
- Milwaukee Polo Club team falls
- Land O’Lakes: Sussex, Monches set for LOL West rematch
- Sports Scene: Good baseball on display in 2016 season for Lake Country programs
- Land O’Lakes: Three generations of Smiths have led Monches
- Football: Former head coach Tom Taraska joins Arrowhead football staff
- Land O’Lakes: Monches grabs two wins in Land O'Lakes West
- Golf: Lake Country golf courses bucking national trend, staying busy
- Golf: Kyle Driscoll leads local golfers at State Amateur
- State of Play: Skill-position talent increasing in Wisconsin football