Commenting login:
  • Log-in Edit profile
  • Register Logout

Pewaukee man allegedly jumped out window to elude arrest, charged with felony domestic abuse

Village of Pewaukee — A 31-year-old man who allegedly jumped out of a bathroom window to elude police on Feb. 11 was charged with several counts of domestic abuse.

The Pewaukee man was charged on Feb. 12 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with felony disorderly conduct, felony criminal damage to property and misdemeanor obstructing an officer.

The disorderly conduct and criminal damage to property charges were upgraded to felonies because of previous domestic abuse charges brought against the suspect in January.

According to the criminal complaint:

Village of Pewaukee police were dispatched 146 Ormsby St. in Pewaukee at about 8:50 p.m. on Feb. 11 after receiving reports of a domestic abuse incident in progress.

A witness flagged down police and told them they had to get inside the residence because the suspect was allegedly punching his girlfriend in the face.

The witness told a responding officer that the alleged victim’s three children were also in the apartment.

The officer then entered the apartment and saw that several shelves had bee knocked over, its contents strewn throughout the apartment.

The alleged victim was visibly upset, the officer reported, and she asked what he was doing in her apartment.

He asked her if there was anybody else in the apartment, to which she said no, but the officer said he heard the bathroom door close shut behind him.

He announced himself as a police officer and then heard several items being smashed in the bathroom. He said he suspected someone was trying to barricade the door.

He tried to open the door and allegedly saw suspect holding the door shut on the other side. He heard somebody breaking glass and suspected the man was trying to crawl out of the window. He was able to get inside and allegedly saw the 31-year-old three quarters of the way through a ground level window.

He said he tried to incapacitate him with his stun gun, but the gun did not work and he escaped. He allegedly fled on foot, but was eventually discovered by a search team in a wooded thicket and was taken into custody.

He was transported to Waukesha Memorial Hospital to have a wound on his right thumb treated, believed to have been caused by the window’s broken glass.

The witness' girlfriend said she had allegedly seen the suspect grabbing and slapping the alleged victim earlier in the day. Her children were crying and begged the witness to help, the witness said.

The alleged victim said she was not injured during the incident and she had lied to police because she did not want the suspect to be arrested. She allegedly said he had head butted her during the incident.

The defendant told police he had been living with the alleged victim for a month and did not lay a finger on her.

If convicted of all charges, the man could face more than five years in prison.

His next expected court date is Feb. 21.

This site uses Facebook comments to make it easier for you to contribute. If you see a comment you would like to flag for spam or abuse, click the "x" in the upper right of it. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use.

Page Tools