Commenting login:
  • Log-in Edit profile
  • Register Logout

Small fire breaks out in AHS North Campus theater

A small fire forced school officials to shut down the North Campus ventilation system this morning at Arrowhead High School.

Shortly after 8 a.m., a drama class using the North Campus theater noticed a smoldering curtain onstage.

According to Arrowhead Superintendent Craig Jefson, a light fixture was leaning up against one of the stage's curtains. The smoking curtain, which was made of a flame-retardant material, was put out with a fire extinguisher, but it caused heavy smoke in the theater.

School officials shut down the ventilation system and cleared the area of students and staff.

Other than a brief lockdown, the fire caused little disruption to the school day, as students remained in class and moved freely throughout the building during the remainder of the day.

Fire department personnel responded to the scene as a precaution.

"Not knowing what was going on, we wanted to have the fire department come in and make sure there wasn't anything else causing it," Jefson said.

This site uses Facebook comments to make it easier for you to contribute. If you see a comment you would like to flag for spam or abuse, click the "x" in the upper right of it. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use.

Page Tools