Sussex Village Trustee Jim Batzko will not seek re-election
Cites conflicts with county board position as reason for not seeking village reelection
Village of Sussex - Trustee Jim Batzko has announced he will not seek reelection to what would have been his fifth term on the Village Board.
Batzko served five years on the board from 2005 to 2010 before resigning. Shortly after his resignation, he made an unsuccessful primary election bid for the 99th Assembly District seat in the state legislature.
In 2011, Batzko was elected again to the village board when he received the second-highest votes among four candidates. Batzko joined incumbents Tim Dietrich and Jason Wegner in defeating former Village President Mike Knapp in his bid to return to the Village Board.
In 2012, Batzko was elected without opposition to the Fourth District seat on the Waukesha County Board which represents the Village of Sussex. Batzko said in an interview last week that he has decided that he cannot serve in both capacities as Village Board trustee and a member of the County Board.
As Batzko pointed out, the County Board's monthly meeting falls on the fourth Tuesday of the month which is at the same time the Village Board is holding its second of two monthly meetings.
Batzko said he has to attend the County Board meeting because it is usually the board's only meeting of the month. However, he said he does not feel he is providing full service to the village residents by missing one of the Village Board's two meetings each.
In addition, he said serving in both capacities puts an additional strain on both his personnel and professional schedules. Batzko is also a City of Delafield police officer.
Candidates interested in seeking one of the three Village Board seats at stake in the April 2013 municipal election can obtain their candidacy petitions and other documents from the clerk.
- Menomonee Falls man accused of hit-and-run while intoxicated, his 4th OWI in 5 Years
- Hamilton High School 60s, 70s Reunion Picnic to be held
- Hamilton School Board still accepting applications to fill vacant Lannon seat
- Village of Butler completes first road project in 30 years
- Pages from the Past: July 27, 2016
- Parade winners announced for Sussex Lions Daze
- Hamilton School District preps for start of school year
- Supreme Court ruling impacts Sussex, Butler signage
- Sussex Fire Department will not consolidate; seeks full-time chief
- Retrospect, July 20, 2016: Weaver finishes up his time in the service