Town of Mukwonago - A fire that started in a garbage can spread and destroyed a garage on Jan. 25.
A passerby called the Mukwonago Fire Department at about 1:45 p.m. to report a garbage can on fire at W325 W7184 Squire Lane.
That person also alerted the resident inside, who was able to get out safely with the family dog.
Mukwonago Fire Chief, Jeffrey Stien, said the fire is thought to have started when ashes that were left to cool overnight were dumped into the trash bin. The ashes had not cooled entirely and lit materials in the bin on fire.
Crews arrived to find the fire had spread to the garage. According to Stien, the department issued a call for a second alarm fire and had 10 departments respond, including City of Waukesha, Town of Waukesha, Dousman, Wales/Genesee, Vernon, Eagle, North Prairie, New Berlin, Big Bend, and East Troy. The first engine on scene was able to knock down the fire to prevent the fire from spreading to the two-story single-family home.
When crews entered the home they found the fire had breeched the attic, but they were able to contain the fire so there was minimal damage to the floors below.
Some on scene or nearby referred to hearing what sounded like explosions during the fire.
Stien said that as common in a garage, stored propane likely caused that noise.
The cost of the damage is still being assessed at this time but Stien estimated it at approximately $75,000.
- Video: Chief on the street featuring new principals, community remodeling and more!
- Three new elementary principals join Mukwonago school staffs
- Shortage in volunteer firefighters and EMTs prompts legislative committee
- Community helps Big Bend teen get needed service dog
- Woman moves into 'miracle home' in Mukwonago
- Enjoy National Night Out in Mukwonago, North Prairie, Big Bend
- Village Administrator John Weidl recognized as "Young Economic Development Professional of the Year"
- Video: Chief on the Street featuring a new restaurant, county fair info and more!
- Four finalists aim for Waukesha County Fairest of Fair title
- Hopefest returns for second year