New 7-Elevens bring Slurpees to Lake Country
Some Lake Country residents are likely to have an opportunity to experience the Slurpee, the signature frozen treat of the 7-Eleven convenience store chain, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The Japanese-owned, Texas-based retail company has taken over 26 Open Pantry stores, nearly all of them in Wisconsin, including four in Lake Country.
The Lake Country locations include the City of Delafield, near I-94 and Highway 83; the Town of Brookfield on Capitol Drive; in Okauchee near Highways P and 16, and in Sussex at Highway 164 and Silver Spring Drive.
Eleri Baecker, a regional representative for the company, told the Village of Sussex Plan Commission last week that it is company policy to operate the stores 24 hours a day, seven days a week wherever permissible.
So far, no one has objected to the convenience store being operated around the clock in Sussex. However, the permits for the company have yet to be approved by the Plan Commission and Village Board.
Similar applications are also pending in the Towns of Brookfield and Oconomowoc.
The City of Delafield has an ordinance that prohibits business operations between 2 and 5 a.m.
According to the 7-Eleven website, corp.7-Eleven.com, 7-Eleven is the world's largest operator, franchiser and licenser of convenience stores, with more than 46,000 outlets, surpassing the previous record holder, McDonald's Corp., in 2007 by approximately 1,000.
Baecker told Sussex officials that the company is opening 600 to 1,000 new stores annually.
Because the interior and exteriors of those stores have to be remodeled to fit the company brand and image, there is a delay in submitting request for signs to various municipal authorities, Baecker explained. Consequently, there are temporary banners on the stores in Lake Country telling consumers that the stores are open despite the lack of signs, she said.
- Lake Country businesses team up for Christmas in July
- In brief: Toy drive to benefit foster care program, Fill the Bus
- Lake Country celebrates National Night Out
- Town of Lisbon to get mobile app, new website
- Lisbon OKs purchase of Lied's property
- Positively Pewaukee marks 20 years
- Taste of Lake Country joined by Waterfront Art Fair this year
- Get to know your county clerk candidates
- Lake Country police advise safety when playing Pokemon Go
- Repairs force lane closure on westbound Capitol Drive near Springdale Road