Food drive crosses $10K mark
With two weeks to go, Yule Feed Families is picking up the pace, but has a long way to go to catch last year's high-water mark.
The encouraging news is that, since the drive's inception in 1991, this is one of the strongest second weeks of the annual benefit for four local food pantries, as $6,005 in contributions came in, far eclipsing the opening week total in the challenge drive co-sponsored by Lake Country Rotary and the Lake Country Reporter.
With the match by both organizations, so far, $10,290 has been raised for the Hartland, North Lake, Kettle Moraine and Pewaukee food pantries. That is roughly 10 percent of what was collected in total last year.
Each year, the Rotary and Reporter agree to match donations coming into the Yule Feed Families food drive, up to a maximum of $2,000 each, at the rate of 70 cents for every $1 donated and 40 cents for every grocery product. Because of the strong showing in the last week, both groups have fulfilled that match this year, but the need still is there. The pantries are reporting increased demand. There are more mouths to feed.
A big reason for the surge this week is a donation by a donor known only as Pat, who gave $5,000, which accounted for the lion's share of the giving.
Other big donors of $100 or more include Janet Schmitt of Hartland, Guy and Donna Gurrath of Hartland and Wayne Werner of Pewaukee. But no donation is too small. We even had one donor contribute two Piggly Wiggly gift cards this week.
How can you help? Send or deliver your donations to Lake Country Publications, 810 Cardinal Lane, Suite 210, Hartland, WI 53029. Make sure you make your tax-deductible check donations to the food pantry of your choice or Lake Country Foundation (a Rotary partner). Please do not make out checks to Yule Feed Families. Remember the deadline for the drive I 5 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 20, so don't delay.
- Lake Country businesses team up for Christmas in July
- In brief: Toy drive to benefit foster care program, Fill the Bus
- Lake Country celebrates National Night Out
- Town of Lisbon to get mobile app, new website
- Lisbon OKs purchase of Lied's property
- Positively Pewaukee marks 20 years
- Taste of Lake Country joined by Waterfront Art Fair this year
- Get to know your county clerk candidates (1)
- Lake Country police advise safety when playing Pokemon Go
- Repairs force lane closure on westbound Capitol Drive near Springdale Road