Ceramic sale is first fundraising event for Kettle Moraine High School art group
Walk into Brock Rumohr's art classes at Kettle Moraine High School and you will find ceramics in various stages of completion.
Freshman Alyssa Skrove's coil project hides under plastic. A line of students sit at potter's wheels centering lumps of clay and spinning ceramic pieces. Junior Makayla Angle carves detail into the side of a thrown bowl while behind her freshmen Rachel Krenz and Shay Fulton paint kiln-fired pieces.
When dried, fired and painted, Skrove's boxes-within-a box coil project will be part of the first fundraising event for the Kettle Moraine Visual Arts Parent Organization (VAPO). Rumohr has 150 students in ceramic classes creating ceramic pieces for the KM Ceramics Winter Sale 2012, sponsored by KM VAPO from Dec. 12-14 in the KMHS cafeteria hallway.
The ceramic sale is the first venture of VAPO, which started last year as a vehicle for providing more opportunities for visual art students in the district through the involvement and leadership of art parents. Funds raised through the three-day sale will help pay for visiting artists, workshops and art critiques. The venture also lends itself to teaching students about the professional aspect of an art sale, including developing leadership skills among students, organization and marketing.
Through VAPO, Rumohr is hoping to create strong business partnerships that would allow students a more authentic art experience and "really legitimize the art department."
"The art department is really growing," said Rumohr. "We're all very excited about it."
Winter Sale 2012
Who: Sponsored by KM VAPO
When: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 12; 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 13; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Dec. 14
Where: Kettle Moraine High School cafeteria hallway
Why: VAPO fundraising event
- Lake Country businesses team up for Christmas in July
- In brief: Toy drive to benefit foster care program, Fill the Bus
- Lake Country celebrates National Night Out
- Town of Lisbon to get mobile app, new website
- Lisbon OKs purchase of Lied's property
- Positively Pewaukee marks 20 years
- Taste of Lake Country joined by Waterfront Art Fair this year
- Get to know your county clerk candidates (1)
- Lake Country police advise safety when playing Pokemon Go
- Repairs force lane closure on westbound Capitol Drive near Springdale Road