Kettle Moraine students create partnerships through German exchange
This summer, Kettle Moraine High School German teacher Erika Chow accompanied 18 students through Germany as part of the German American Partnership Program. KM students were reunited with German exchange students who were students and guests of Kettle Moraine last year.
During the first two weeks in Germany students lived with host families, coming together during the third week to study and travel as a group through Ulm, Munich, Salzburg and Berlin.
The culture and history found in the ruins of the 13C Burg Rheinfels castle provided fascinating underground tunnels for exploration, a tour of the Dachau concentration camp of WWII brought history into focus, remnants from the Berlin Wall on display in Berlin brought great reflection, and King Ludwig II's home in Neuchwanstein inspired imagination.
Students were impressed by the public viewing venues that housed large screens. These unifying spaces attracted German enthusiasts as they cheered on their national soccer team during the 2012 Euro Cup. KM students were able to join with German peers in Olympic Park in Munich as Germany played Italy. It was an experience KM students will not soon forget.
The stories and experiences were great, but common to all were the memories of friendship and family.
"We were struck by the closeness of multiple generations of family that remain close, many living in the same home. We were impressed by the multi-lingual homes and the common appreciation of the English language in German schools," shared Chow.
"We returned home with a keen awareness of our place in the global world and motivated to grow this partnership for learning with our German classmates," added Chow.
- Dousman Derby Days coming this weekend
- Doering Open supports AngelsGrace Hospice and ProHealth cancer services
- Video: Kettle Moraine students fly high with 'Mary Poppins'
- Summit moves ahead on land buy
- Mulvey, Dahl take to stage for SummerStage show
- Delafield praises life savers
- Gutschenritter ends his Assembly race
- Delafield reviewing planner options
- North Prairie looking for recommendations for civic award
- Reel World: 'The Secret Life of Pets' July 13, 2016