Officials go digital and save money
WalesVillage Board goes paperless with iPads
Village of Wales - The use of new technology by municipal officials is helping to cut expenses in the Village of Wales.
"The village began integrating the iPads into our regular operations at the beginning of February 2013," explained Village Clerk Gail Tamez.
"The Village Board has now gone completely paperless and the Plan Commission should be completely paperless by the end of March 2013," she added.
While it is too soon to calculate the annual savings, Tamez expects it will be several thousand dollars derived from copying and paper expenses and employee man hours spent compiling and delivering agendas and other documents.
"It's early on, but between Plan Commission and Village Board prep, we are probably saving three to five hours a week," Tamez said, in personnel costs.
The cost of the iPads was $600, according to Tamez, and they were given to, "Plan Commission and Village Board members who did not have their own or want to purchase one," she said.
The clerk said the village implemented a policy related to the new technology and officials were required to sign an agreement regulating the use of the iPads
"iPads are used for viewing information sent including the agenda, minutes and any documentation submitted for an agenda item, and sometimes for quick research during a meeting," Tamez said.
That policy is a safeguard that keeps texts or chats from occurring between members on the iPad during a meeting, that could be omitted from becoming part of the public record.
- Dousman Derby Days coming this weekend
- Doering Open supports AngelsGrace Hospice and ProHealth cancer services
- Video: Kettle Moraine students fly high with 'Mary Poppins'
- Summit moves ahead on land buy
- Mulvey, Dahl take to stage for SummerStage show
- Delafield praises life savers
- Gutschenritter ends his Assembly race
- Delafield reviewing planner options
- North Prairie looking for recommendations for civic award
- Reel World: 'The Secret Life of Pets' July 13, 2016